Monday, April 7, 2014

Monday: Eight

Hi. Happy Monday. Here's the random scoop:

Quinn'in
It's always weird for me when I see someone else named Quinn, even as a last name. I hold my name really close to me (saying this put that Sting song "don't stand so...don't stand so close to meeee" in my head//not comparable at all but ya know, it's Monday) because it is so unique and seeing someone else with it is always a little bit of a shock. I recently discovered a singer from the UK named 'Quinn Archer.' How bad ass is that name? Pretty dang bad ass. She has a great voice too. Take a listen:


Dreamin'
So I found my dream kitchen. Click here: Avocado Sweets and then choose Stoke Newington Apartment (it's the first box under the word Portfolio). The first two pictures that come up are of the kitchen..the rest of the apartment is a bit too eclectic for me. The colorful lamps, the brick walls, the wooden island and other pieces, I swooooon. Also, the natural light. One thing I've learned about living in California is that natural light is everything to me. I need it, I crave it, I want it.

Samoan Connections
So when I studied in New Zealand, I lived on the international floor in my dorm. I had five or six neighbors who were from Samoa (not American Samoa - there is a difference), and to this day, I still remain friends with all of them. Thank goodness for facebook. There are days I hate it, days I want to delete it, and days that it annoys the heck out of me, but there are also days that I am so grateful to know that I have an instant connection with so many friends around the world. Anywho, one of my friends, Sana, was recently crowned Miss Samoa! Yeah! So proud of her! She's stunningly gorgeous and is now even more famous because she made it into this commercial for BlueSky (a Samoan cell phone service). She is not the girl on the date, but is the one who is talking about BlueSky in Samoan. Watching this will also give you a little preview of the language! BlueSky Samoa

Mouthwatering:


Photo source & recipe found here: The March Salad

Does anyone else think this looks amazingly delicious? Lately, I've been really into salads. I've never been a salad person - romaine lettuce by itself has always been boring to me and spinach by itself has always tasted a bit odd. I've also never liked the time it takes to chop up all the vegetables. [Yeah, I know. Hard life.] A few weeks before spring break, I met a friend for lunch at a cafe in Monterey and I randomly ordered a Mediterranean salad and holy olives was it good (and I don't normally even like olives!). Ever since then, I've been on an intense salad kick. Mixed greens have become my perfect lettuce bed. Also, why did it take me so long to realize how amazing balsamic vinaigrette is? Chopping up veggies is exciting now because I know it will be worth it. This has become a very long paragraph about salads. Who am I? I don't know. Also, mangoes. MANGOES. Addicted. I can't stop and I won't stop. Also, I'm trying really hard to eat things with more flavor. I really hate most condiments and spices of all kinds and like my food plain and boring. My new goal is to get over that silly way of eating. Bring on the flava. I'm done.

Words:

"That thing that you do, after your day job, in your free time, too early in the morning, too late at night. That thing you read about, write about, think about, in fact fantasize about. That thing you do when you’re all alone and there’s no one to impress, nothing to prove, no money to be made, simply a passion to pursue. That’s it. That’s your thing. That’s your heart, your guide. That’s the thing you must, must do."

I read this* and immediately thought: food/life blogger who posts everyday. Sigh. Someday. ....this is a perfect transition into...
*After reading this again a few days later, I realized that it may seem a bit odd that I would think about food blogging 24 hours a day. NOT ONE BIT, PEEPS.

An Addiction:
Because apparently all I think about is food blogs, here's a new one for ya: Sally's Baking Addiction. This blog is all things chocolate, dessert, and sometimes healthy. I made these yesterday and holy delicious:


They are: Sally's Skinny Double Chocolate Muffins and even though I love butter, I couldn't help but try them because they have yogurt, applesauce, and honey instead of butter and oil. And whole wheat flour! If you haven't tried whole wheat flour before, it's a bit of a different taste than all-purpose flour. I like it. Either way, these are the perfect snack (I froze all mine so I wouldn't eat them in 2 days).

What:
This really isn't that funny, but it made me laugh when I saw it at 10:25 last Tuesday night. Must have been overly tired.  Beer + Cats

What x2:
So, American Samoa has been hit by a Pink Eye epidemic. I'm talking an island-wide outbreak. Thousands of people have got it and they even shut down all the public schools. Every other thing on facebook is, 'pink eye this,' 'pink eye that.' Oh-my-gross. Samoan's idea of hygiene is a little bit different than mine. They share everything - phones, food, clothes, jewelry, etc., therefore they are touching everything. Student's didn't even have soap in the bathrooms at my high school (um hi. WHY NOT.), which of course meant there was no hand sanitizer either. I don't even want to know how freaked out everyone must be there. Grosssssssss. What I can't get enough of is seeing this image on my facebook dash. I just die. Everydangtime.

Photo: LOL! Fuhreals tho' #repost #pinkeye

No comments:

Post a Comment